Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Remembering Dan Fogelberg




I finally got my copy of Dan Fogelberg's final CD, Love In Time.

It's a bittersweet occasion. While I'm always thrilled to get my hands on new material by him, I can't help but be a little sad to know that this is probably the LAST album of new songs he will ever release.

Dan passed away last December and I was devastated when I heard the news. I knew he was ill, but I didn't know he had so little time left.

I've loved him since the early 80s, but I joined the party late. By the time I heard my first Fogelberg tune, Run For The Roses, Dan already had quite a number of hits and six albums under his belt. But that didn't stop me. I trolled record stores -- CDs didn't exist then -- looking for his albums. I didn't manage to find all of them at first, but I eventually met a record store guy who was willing to import the albums for me. I didn't care what they cost, I was THAT obsessed! I spent all my allowance on Dan and never regretted it. My turntables are dead now, but I STILL have those records! 

Vinyl gave way to CDs and I'm proud to say I have his entire discography, including the Laser Disc, which is also extinct, AND the DVD of Dan Fogelberg Live: Greetings From The West. That DVD is my prized possession, and I have always harboured a desire to see him perform live. But that was not to be, and is one of my greatest regrets.

I LOVE his new CD. It's vintage Fogelberg, and Dan rips through musical boundaries seemlessly as only he can. It doesn't matter which of his musical styles you prefer, they're ALL here in this album. Personally, I love the way he's able to tell a story in every song; he always engages the listener, and THAT is his true genius.

Dan wrote all the songs save two, played all the instruments and did all the vocals. And he has never sounded better. It's hard to believe that he was sick when he put it all together.

I got a little emotional when I listened to Love In Time this afternoon, and I was sniffling shamelessly when the final strains faded out. The last song, Birds, is so beautiful and a fitting close to a wonderful album.

The world of music will never be the same without him, but heaven has gained an angel. My heart goes out to his family. 

RIP, Dan Fogelberg. I'll miss you...

No comments:

Post a Comment